WD Elements drives normally don't have encryption.
What is the full model of the drive ?
It's USB only drive or it's a drive inside a case/enclosure that turns the SATA drive intro USB by the use of a bridge board ?
If your drive is inside an enclosure you will need to remove the drive from inside of it - DO NOT OPEN THE DRIVE ITSELF - and plug it directly to SATA.
If the drive it's USB only then you have major problems as you will have to "adapt" the PCB to SATA in order to bypass the USB bridge or you will have to replace with a SATA compatible PCB and adapt it's ROM or compy the content from the original PCB ROM chip (or move it).
If you can plug the drive directly to SATA you can detect it with WDMARVEL and then you can do this :
Heads - Edit Config and :
Uncheck "Background surface scan and error processing enabled" and click SAVE TO SA.
This is the same as applying the module 02 patch that other free tools do :
Go to S/A modules and clear the RO-LO list module - mod 32.
Power off/on the drive. Done.
AS ALTERNATIVE WDMARVEL have a simple way to deal with the Slow Responding problem !http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=60#p7673
- Detect the drive.
- Select Defects and Manage Defects :
- On the Defect List Actions window select the option to Deal With Slow Responding :
- Chose the way/method you want to use to deny access to the Re-Lo list and select the option to Turn Off filling the Re-Lo list. Click Ok.
- Done !
- Power OFF/ON the drive and clone it !
More reading :
Researching on a WD drive with the slow issue :http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1456
_________________The HDD Oracle
- Platform for OPEN research on Data Recovery.